DOWNTOWN SIGN GRANT PROGRAM
The signage grant program is funded by the City of Durham and the Office of Economic and Workforce Development and managed Downtown Durham, Inc. (DDI) . The objective of the program is to improve the pedestrian experience downtown by enhancing the visibility and appearance of downtown businesses through signage improvements that are physically, historically and architecturally compatible with downtown buildings.
Downtown Durham Inc has released a limited amount of Signage Grant Funding available on a first come first serve basis. The program is a 50% matching grant program with a maximum grant amount of $1,000.
Given the limited funds available, applications will be limited to the first 6 applicants.
Applications must be complete when submitted and must include the following items to be considered for grant funding:
· Plans drawn to scale—including sign dimensions, description of all materials, colors (samples), illustrate how sign will be attached to building and if sign will be illuminated, an explanation of how the sign will be lit
· Photographic rendering of proposed signage installed on building (if available)
· Proposed budget and detailed cost estimates for work
· If the applicant is someone other than the property owner, the property owners must complete the relevant sections of the application
· If the applicant is someone other than the property owner, the applicant must attach a copy of a signed lease
· Current copy of City of Durham Privilege License
· Current W-9 form
· A $100 application fee* must accompany the completed Sign Grant application form. (Checks should be made out to Downtown Durham, Inc.) *If your application is denied the $100 will be returned.
For information on the Signage Approval Guidelines for the City of Durham, please view the link below. http://www.downtowndurham.com/assets/SignageApprovalGuidelines.pdf
Please return your completed Sign Grant Application (along with all required attachments) to the Downtown Durham Inc office at 115 Market St, Suite 213, Durham, NC 27701. Electronic applications will NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Grant applications will be reviewed on a first come first serve basis. Your application will be reviewed by the Sign Grant Committee and you will be notified of a decision by DDI staff within 7-10 working days. Projects would need to be completed within 1-year of grant approval. Please do not have your sign fabricated or installed until after you have been notified by DDI Staff with a decision on your Grant Application. Any fabrication or installation work done prior to approval of grant application will not eligible for grant funds.
Grant Funds will not be disbursed to the applicant until the project is completed and the following documentation has been submitted to DDI:
• Photos showing the completed work
If you have questions about the Sign Grant Program please contact Downtown Durham, Inc. (919) 682-2800.